Monday, September 7, 2009

GameFly Explanantion

Some of you are wondering about this whole GameFly service and how it works. Thought I would shed some light on it for you in case you are interested.

Essentially Gamefly is just like Netflix, you pay a monthly service fee and receive unlimited rentals. Based on the subscription you choose, you can have one to four games out at a time.

You create a queue just like Netflix and place games in it. You can place games from every single system, even previous generation systems like Nintendo Game Cube, in the queue. You can also place games that have not been released.

My concerns at starting this service might match yours so here is my list and my experience after 90 days as a member:

1) What is the likelyhood of obtaining games that are new releases?

I was concerned about this. I wanted to make sure that the company didn't purchase one copy of Madden 10 and then dole it out to a 100 subscribers making them wait months.

My experience was that I had three new releases that I wanted to try, Madden 10, NCAA 10, and Batman Arkum Aslym. In each instance I had the game the day of or the day after it was released.

2) Is there a buy option for games you decide you might want to keep?

I could see myself falling in love with a game, then mailing it back and purchasing it from another vendor. Who wants to go to that trouble when the game is already at my house?

Yes, you can buy games that you rented that you want to keep permanently.

3) Is that option a scam or are the games a decent price?

Brand new releases are $48.99, free shipping. You rent Madden 10, decide you want to keep it, it's yours for 49 bucks. That's 11 cheaper than anywhere else. Since you got it the day it came out, it's technically not even used.

Previous releases vary greatly, but I have picked up 3 games over 90 days for under 17 a piece.

4) Do the entire contents of the item come with the game when you buy it?

Yes, they send you the game and instructions and you do not pay for shipping. The contents are brand new because they don't mail the cases or instructions to renters so you actually receive a brand new case and instructions for the game.

5) How long does it take for discs to arrive?

My discs take 2 days to arrive.

6) Will I save money by renting as opposed to buying and trading in at a local store?

Yes, In the last 45 days I have tried out two games that weren't worth $60 by a long shot, and beat another $60 game in less than a week. I would have spent $180 for them all, and would have received 75 - 90 in trade for store credit, making it a net loss of $90, which is far less than my current monthly subscription rate.

Bonus:

Gamefly offers a rewards program, sales, and more for subscribers. I receive a coupon every 3 months for $5 off any used game. After 6 months I will automatically get 5% off used games as long as I am a member, which increases to 10% off at 9 months.

Gamefly offers a trade in program which in my experience has superior margins than Gamestop, even with my Gamestop edge card. I use the mailers they send games I purchase from them to mail back games I no longer need.

Of course, these are only my experiences, but the trial period is very cheap (See the link at the top right) and you can see for yourself.

I have changed my buying habits completely and have saved a bundle using this service.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(He forgot to mention that this blog was sponsored by GameFly.)

Team Objective Rationale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.